Skip to content

Competition Topics 2021 Season Schedule Framework

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt
      Administrator

I would like to offer up the following schedule framework for the 2021 season for discussion. It leverages what worked last year and also works around the Nationals regatta in June. A few owners have confided in me that racing on Casco Bay in the cold and often rainy weather in May is not that enjoyable.

So, it looks like the Fleet Launch Day may be on May 15. Maybe this date is still in flux.
        Assuming the Fleet launch day is on May 15, start the racing, as was done in 2020, with a pre-season series of races during the 5 weeks of May 18, 25, June 1, 8, 15. Like last year, the pre-season does not count towards the Fleet 27 Season Championships, but is scored as its own series. This lets folks slow roll the start of the season when the weather is iffy and the Bay is cold and the pandemic protocols are likely to still be with us at some level.
        US Nationals (in Marblehead) June 17-20.
        Consider a Fleet 27 “summertime kick-off regatta” on the weekend of June 19 and/or 20
        • This weekend falls between the pre-season and the regular season
        • Maybe a one- or a two-day regatta on Casco Bay to clean out the cobwebs for those not going to Marblehead.
        Then the regular Tuesday Twilight Series is 12 weeks (6-week Summer & 6-week Fall series) between June 22 and Sept 7. This “main event” series starts the Tuesday after the US Nationals, so those coming back will need to hustle to relaunch and not miss a race.
        Anyway, something to kick around. Let me or the Fleet officers know if you have any comments on the above.
        Regards,
        Matt
        Vixen, USA 744
        Richard Fontana
        Participant
          Although I am new to this, your plan sounds great to me.
          Thanks,
          Rick
          P.S. I was also wondering about having a special “protest” flag for when someone thinks the interaction was worth a rules discussion, but does not want to actually protest with all the associated time and technicalities. This might help people learn the new rules better, which is good when the racing is more “serious”. What do you think?
          Matt
          Administrator
          Administrator
            We have appendix T arbitration provisions in the SI’s (at least we did last year). I think arbitration does most of what you are looking for and does not need us to invent a new process (or flag).
            The fleet members historically do not protest. But, I think we would learn more if people did protest a little more often and use the arbitration process to keep it low key and less onerous.
            Maybe you can help encourage something along these lines.
        Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Competition Topics 2021 Season Schedule Framework