Skip to content

Competition Topics Sail wardrobe policy of the River Clyde Etchells fleet

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt
      Administrator

New sails can make a marked difference in Etchells boat speed. But, in the interest of preventing an ever escalating arms race, an agreement limiting sail replacement may be desired. The Etchells fleet on the River Clyde is similar to Fleet 27, and apparently is evolving to a “one new sail per year” approach, as discussed in the correspondence below.

Hi Matt,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

We have, up till now, agreed to limit ourselves to second-hand sails in the spirit of a gentleman’s agreement. There is no limit to this and in the Corinthian spirit have distributed other sails to owners that would use them.

With seventeen boats in the fleet now it is becoming harder to source decent used sails for everyone so we have just agreed to allow one new sail per season. This can be any sail.

I hope this helps but if you have any questions please come back to me and if any of your sailors find themselves near Gourock we would be delighted to welcome them to RGYC

Regards

Geoffrey Howison

On 12 Nov 2018, at 15:00, Matt Blake wrote:

I am looking at your website and read that you have a “class consensus on sail wardrobes.” Would you fill me in on how your fleet handles this?

We have a very similar situation in Maine, USA where we have about 20 Etchells on moorings, etc. However, the sail renewal topic has never been adequately addressed here and possibly we can learn from your situation.

Regards,
        Matt Blake
        USA 744
        Fleet 27

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Competition Topics Sail wardrobe policy of the River Clyde Etchells fleet